Glossary of Terms

Learn the terms and phrases used by SC TRAC colleges and universities handling transfer related processes, information and policies.

A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M - N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z
Academic Advisor:

An academic advisor is a professional at a college or university who assists a student in making choices concerning what courses to take, when to take them (sequence), how many credits it is advisable to take (course load), what major to pursue, and so forth.

Academic Bankruptcy:

Academic bankruptcy is the removal of an entire transcript or parts of it from a failed or underachieving record after a period of years has passed so that re-entry into an institution with course credit earned in the interim elsewhere is done without regard to the student's earlier record.

Academic Standards:

These standards are expectations and requirements, such as the requirement to maintain a certain grade point average, that students must comply with in order to remain in good standing at an institution of higher education. Academic standards may also include the requirement to adhere to an academic code of conduct and would also typically address issues such as academic dishonesty, plagiarism, etc.

Academic Year:

Academic year refers to the annual schedule of each institution. Academic years are usually divided into quarters, semesters or trimesters. (Note: All public institutions of higher education in South Carolina operate on the semester system.)


When an institution of higher education is accredited, such an institution must meet specific requirements with respect to its academic programs, facilities, qualifications of faculty members, etc. to be certified by a national or regional accrediting agency. Usually, an institution must be accredited by an agency recognized for the United States Department of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation in order for its students to receive financial aid.

Admission Requirements:

Admission requirements refer to an institution’s specific requirements students must meet to be considered for admission. These requirements may include a student’s high school grade point average, standardized test scores, high school courses taken, etc.

Advanced Credit:

Some institutions may award college credit based on a student’s score on a test. Students who receive a sufficiently high score on such tests can earn credit in specific subject areas and may be placed into higher-level courses.

Advanced Placement (AP):

Advanced Placement (AP) courses are college-level courses designed by the College Board, Inc. which are offered in high school. It may be possible for students with high scores on standardized tests given at the end of an AP course to be placed into more advanced college courses. It may also be possible for such students to receive college credit for beginning-level courses. Students should consult with each institution of higher education to find out more about an institution’s unique policies and procedures concerning AP courses.

Advanced or Early Registration:

A period of time set by colleges during which students are able to register for classes early.

Application Fee:

An application fee is a sum of money charged to process a student's application for admission to an institution. Such a sum is not normally credited toward tuition or required fees, nor is it refundable if the student is not admitted to the institution. In some cases, this fee may be waived if a student shows financial need. Whether or not a waiver is available is determined by each individual institution.

Applied Baccalaureate:

This type of degree is designed to build upon applied associate’s degrees once considered as terminal. The combination of technical and upper-division coursework prepares students for higher-level job opportunities related to their area of technical expertise. Examples of applied baccalaureates include degrees in Manufacturing Technology, Engineering Technology, and Industrial Technology.


Apprenticeship programs provide opportunities for students to gain experience by working at jobs on- or off-campus under the direction of professionals.


Articulation is a process whereby one college or university compares the content of its courses to those at another college or university and determines transferability of college credit.

Articulation Agreement:

Articulation agreements are formal agreements reached between two institutions to allow course credit which is earned at one institution to be accepted or transferred to another institution. Some articulation agreements may require a student to have a specific GPA in order for course credit to be accepted or transferred. Students should always check with the individual institution as to its specific policies and procedures. Additionally, there is a list of courses called the “List of Universally Transferrable Courses” which is available on the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education’s website and on SCTRAC. This list shows technical college courses that are transferrable to public senior (four-year) institutions within South Carolina under a statewide articulation agreement.

Arts and Sciences:

This division, college, or school of academic studies may include fine arts, languages, social sciences, natural sciences and studies in the humanities.

Associate's Degree:

This type of degree is granted after a student successfully completes a two-year, full-time program of required courses or its part-time equivalent of at least 60 semester credits.

Asynchronous Learning:

This form of learning is used in distance education, usually for online classes. With this form of learning, there is no time requirement for transmitting assignments and the start and end dates of a course can be assigned on an individual basis, which allows students to complete coursework and submit assignments at their own pace (see “Distance Education”)

Bachelor's Degree or Baccalaureate Degree:

This type of degree is granted by a college or university after a student successfully completes a four- or five-year, full-time program of required courses or its part-time equivalent of at least 120 semester credits.

Bridge Program:

A bridge program is an agreement between a four-year institution and a two-year institution to provide a direct and well-defined path for a student to be admitted to the four-year institution after taking coursework at the two-year institution.


Calendar refers to the way in which a college divides an academic year for classes and grading. Calendars usually run from August to December and January to May, with an additional summer calendar.


A college or university catalog is a collection of general information about the institution, courses, faculty, costs, admissions requirements, degree requirements, and other institution-specific information.


This type of credential is granted by colleges after completion of study for a specific occupation. The length of time required to obtain a certificate varies according to the type of credential sought.


The highest level administrator of an academic department, usually a professor, is referred to as the chair. Institutions also refer to such faculty members who serve in this administrative capacity as Department Chairs.


This term refers to an institution of higher education which offers programs of study that lead to an academic degree. The term “college” can also refer to a division within a larger university.

Class Standing:

Class standing is the official year in school based on college credits earned (i.e., Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, or Senior).

CLEP (College-Level Examination Program):

These examinations are sometimes offered by institutions of higher education at the undergraduate level to provide students of any age an opportunity to demonstrate college-level academic achievement. Some institutions may award credit for attaining a minimum score on CLEP examinations, thereby reducing costs and time to degree completion.

College-Preparatory Subjects:

These subjects are required for admission to, or recommended as preparation for, college.

The SC Commission on Higher Education, in consultation with the SC Department of Education, provides a list of such courses which reflect the consensus of the public four-year institutions of higher education in the state as to the high school courses that best prepare students seeking direct entry after high school graduation into baccalaureate programs to optimize success in general education courses in the freshman and sophomore college years in consultation with the SCDE.


The commencement (or commencement exercise) is a formal graduation ceremony that recognizes students who have completed degree requirements, at which time the institution confers a degree upon the student.

Community and Technical Colleges:

These are colleges that offer certificates, diplomas, or associate’s degrees which are usually two years or less in duration for full-time students and prepare them for immediate employment or transfer to a four-year college or university.

Competitive Admissions Policy:

Colleges or Universities with such policies only admits students who meet certain requirements (sometimes referred to as "Selective Admissions Policy").

Completion Program:

Degree completion programs are baccalaureate degree programs designed to provide additional education to students with an associate’s degree or its part-time equivalent of at least 60 semester credits. (See also "Two-Plus-Two Program.")

Concurrent Enrollment:

Some institutions of higher education allow high school students to take college courses in order to earn college credit while still in high school. If concurrently enrolled, the student earns college, but not high school, credit for the courses in which the student is enrolled. To enroll in such courses, students must be admitted to a college or university.

Conditional Admission (or Provisional Admission):

At times, an institution may admit a student who has not met all requirements for full admission with the provision that such a student fulfill specified requirements before or during enrollment. Conditional or provisional admissions requirements vary from institution to institution.

Core Classes:

These classes are those that all students in a major program or college are required to take.


A co-requisite is a class or laboratory requirement that usually must be taken during the same academic term as another course.

Cost of Attendance:

The student's cost-of-attendance is the total amount estimated that it will cost the student to attend during a period of enrollment. The financial aid offices at the institution the student is attending are responsible for calculating the student's cost based on formulas specified by Title IV Regulations. The cost-of-attendance includes components such as tuition and fees, room and board, transportation costs, and dependent care expenses.


This word has the same meaning as "class."

Correspondence Course:

Students enrolled in correspondence courses receive lessons in the mail and send completed assignments to instructors. Correspondence is one example of a number of types or modalities of distance education.

Course Evaluation:

A course evaluation is a survey given to students, usually at the end of each course. Students provide feedback on various dimensions of the course, including their opinions about the instructor.

Course Number:

Course numbers are those numbers assigned to courses to show their level of difficulty or depth/breadth of study. Generally, in undergraduate studies, courses that fall within the 100 and 200 range are considered as "lower division" courses, while courses falling within the 300 and 400 range are considered to be “upper division” courses.


Credit refers to how institutions measure a student's progress toward a diploma or degree. The number of credits assigned to a course depends in part on how much time is spent in class each week. For example, most courses offered by institutions using semester calendars are worth three credits. Credits are also referred to as "credit hours" or simply "hours."

Credit-Bearing Course:

This type of course is one that, if successfully completed, can be applied toward the number of courses required for achieving a degree, diploma, certificate, or other formal award.

Credit Hour:

Credit hour is a unit of measure that represents the equivalent of an hour of instruction that can be applied to the total number of hours needed for completing the requirements of a degree, diploma, certificate, or other formal award.


Curriculum refers to the available courses in a program of study at an institution of higher learning.


A Dean is the highest officer of a division, college or school, such as the Dean of the School of Education. Deans usually report directly to a provost, chief academic officer, or, in some limited instances, to the president of a college.

Declare a Major:

To declare a major means to be accepted and officially enter into a major or area of study. See also "Major."

Deferred Admission:

Deferred admission means that an institution accepts a student but allows the student to delay beginning courses for one year.


A degree is an academic credential conferred by a college, university, or other postsecondary education institution as official recognition for the successful completion of a program of study.

Degree-Seeking Student:

A degree-seeking student is one who is enrolled in courses for credit and who is recognized by the institution as seeking a degree or other formal academic credential.


An academic department is an organizational unit within an institution of higher education that is comprised of the faculty of a common area of study. For example, French may be a department in the School of Arts and Sciences.

Developmental Course:

A developmental course teaches basic skills needed to succeed in credit-bearing college courses. Such skills are usually those that fall into the general curricular areas of mathematics, writing, or reading (also referred to as “Remedial Course.”)


A diploma is a formal document that certifies the successful completion of a prescribed program of study.

Disability Services:

These services are designed to provide reasonable academic accommodations and support to empower students who have disabilities to pursue competitively postsecondary education.


A discipline is a field of study.


Dismissal means expulsion from an institution of higher education for reasons such as poor academic performance (poor grades), failure to comply with regulations, or academic dishonesty.

Distance Education:

Distance education refers to courses that are taught via the Internet, through satellite technology, television, video tape, CD ROM, DVD, email, and/or by correspondence. Some courses may be regularly scheduled while others may be taken when most convenient for the student's schedule (see "asynchronous learning").

Double Major:

This term refers to meeting the requirements for two distinct academic majors (e.g., "a double major in French and Art History.")

Drop / Add Period:

During this time period, students are generally permitted to drop courses from their class schedules and/or add other courses. Colleges allow varying lengths of time for students to add and drop classes; the college catalog or class schedule should note the correct procedures.

Dual Admissions Agreements:

A Dual Admission agreement is a cooperative partnership between two institutions that facilitates the admission process for students interested in pursuing a bachelor’s degree. The agreement prepares students to transfer their associate degree credits into a bachelor degree program with no loss of time or money, providing the student maintains the required academic standard and follows the requirements of a program parallel to the desired transfer program. Often, there are also financial incentives and support services associated with each program.

Dual Admissions programs are typically written between technical/community colleges and four-year institutions although the term may also be applied to programs that allow high-achieving high school students to complete college courses that fulfill both high school and college graduation requirements.

Dual Enrollment / Dual Credit:

Some institutions of higher education allow high school students to take college courses in order to earn college credit while still in high school. Depending on the specific arrangements between the institution of higher education and the secondary school district, such courses may also fulfill high school graduation requirements. To enroll in such courses, students must gain permission from the designated secondary school district official and must be admitted to a college or university.

Early Admission:

In some instances, students can take standardized tests that are required by an institution and apply for admission early in their senior year. If a student chooses to apply for early admission and is accepted, the institution guarantees a place for the student and in return, the student promises to attend that institution.


The term "elective" refers to an optional course, as opposed to one that is required. Some electives may fulfill general education requirements but normally do not count toward fulfillment of the number and type of credits required in the major field of study.


To enroll means to become a student at an institution of higher education by registering for courses and paying tuition and fees after first being admitted to the institution. (See also "Registration" and "Matriculate.")


An exemption is a course requirement that is fulfilled or waived by earning a passing score on an examination in the subject area.

Extra-Curricular Activities:

These activities take place outside of the classroom and can contribute to a well-rounded education. Extra-curricular activities include activities such as athletics, clubs, student government, recreational and social organizations and events.


The faculty are the professors and instructors who deliver instruction at colleges and universities.


A fee is an amount of money charged by an institution for services provided to a student. Fees are often charged for such things as lab materials, computer use, cafeteria meals, and recreational facilities, among others.

Financial Aid:

Financial aid is money provided by a source outside of the student’s family to help pay for the cost of a student's education beyond high school. Merit-based aid is provided to students in recognition of academic ability or special skills. Need-based aid is generally given to students who do not have sufficient family resources to pay for a postsecondary education beyond high school, and whose financial circumstances and that of their families would otherwise limit their ability to pursue a postsecondary education. The federal government is the largest source of need-based aid in the U.S. Students complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine whether they qualify for federal financial aid. (Also see for more information.).

In South Carolina, several scholarships and grants are funded by the state and administered by the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education including the LIFE Scholarship and Palmetto Fellows Scholarship and their enhancements, the SC HOPE Scholarship, Lottery Tuition Assistance, and the SC Need-based Grant.

Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) Student Enrollment:

Generally, for undergraduate studies, full-time equivalent student enrollment is 12 or more credits per semester.

Full-Time Student:

A full-time student is one who carries a minimum number of credits or hours per semester in order to be considered "full-time" by an institution. Schools on a semester calendar require at least 12-hours for full-time status; however, there may be some exceptions. Being a full-time as opposed to a part-time student can affect things such as financial aid, the time required to complete a degree, student services, and so forth.

Guest Student:

A guest student, or visiting student, is someone who is currently enrolled and in good standing at one institution, but who seeks to take courses at another institution in order to fulfill the home institution's degree requirements.

Grade Point Average (GPA):

The term "grade point average" or "GPA" refers to a system that is used to evaluate the overall academic performance of students. Grades are often measured on a four-point scale in which an "A" equals four points, a "B" equals three points, and so forth.


A graduate is a student who is awarded a certificate, degree or diploma from a school in recognition of completion of a course of study or degree program.

Independent College:

An independent college is an institution of higher education that is supported primarily with private money, not with money provided by the state. Some independent institutions have a religious affiliation or are single-gender schools.

Independent Study:

An independent study is a course taken for credit without regular classroom instruction. This term may refer to on-campus courses that a student takes independently or through self-guided study. The student normally meets at an agreed-upon frequency with the instructor to review progress and assignments.

In-District Student:

An in-district student is a legal resident of the locality (or "service area") in which he or she attends school.

In-state Student:

In general, an in-state student is a legal resident of the state in which he or she attends school.


In educational parlance, the word "institution" or the phrase "institution of higher education" refers to a college, university, community college, or technical college.


The term "intercollegiate" refers to any competition or activity that takes place between different higher education institutions.


The term "interdisciplinary refers to programs or courses which draw upon knowledge from two or more academic areas, fields, or domains.

International Baccalaureate (IB):

International Baccalaureate® (IB) courses are college-level courses which are offered in high school. It may be possible for students with high scores on standardized external examinations given at the end of an IB course to be placed into more advanced college courses. It may also be possible for such students to receive college credit for beginning-level courses. Students should consult with each institution of higher education to find out more about an institution’s unique policies and procedures concerning IB courses.


The term "internship" refers to the experience that is gained by students who work at a job, either on- or off-campus. An internship allows students to receive practical, work-based experience that is related to an area of study.

Liberal Arts:

"Liberal Arts" refers to a school or course of study which focuses on developing students' general knowledge and reasoning ability instead of specific career training. The result is often considered to be a well-rounded, general education in the arts and sciences.

Lower Division:

The term "lower division" is used to refer to students who are at the freshman and sophomore level. Correspondingly, courses offered for credit toward the first and second year of an undergraduate degree program, an associate's degree program, or a technical or vocational degree below the baccalaureate, usually numbered 100 and 200, are often considered to be lower division courses.


The term "major" (or "major area of study") refers to a focused area of academic study. Students take many classes in the major area, gain specialized knowledge, and earn a degree in that area. A major requires successful completion of, usually, at least 30 semester credits, which must be earned with a specified minimum grade point average and may have other specific requirements as well.


The term "matriculate" means to register or enroll in an institution of higher education.


The term "minor" (or "minor program of study") refers to an area of academic interest that is studied at the same time as a major. Minors are not "stand-alone" credentials. To complete a minor, a student must also be enrolled in a program leading to a major.

Non-transferable Degree:

A non-transferable degree cannot be counted as credit towards a more advanced degree.

Office Hours:

Office hours are time that is set aside by an instructor to meet with students. Some instructors have set office hours with other time available to meet with students by appointment. Usually, office hours are listed in the instructor’s syllabus.

Open Admissions Policy:

An open admissions policy is one under which any prospective student with a high school diploma or its equivalent may take classes at an institution without taking college aptitude tests, presenting a certain grade point average, or meeting other traditional admissions requirements.

Out-of-State Student:

In general, an out-of-state student is one who is not a legal resident of the state in which he or she attends an institution of higher education.

Part-Time Student:

A part-time student is one who is enrolled at an institution of higher education but is taking a number of course credits that are less than full- time. Usually, a part-time student takes less than 12 credits per semester.


The term "placement" refers to the assignment of students to appropriate classes or programs.


A portfolio is a compilation of materials created by a student that displays and explains skills, talents, experiences, and knowledge gained throughout life. Portfolios are often used when applying for a job. They may also be electronic and may contain electronic artifacts such as presentations, videos of musical, artistic or other performance.

Postsecondary Education:

The term "postsecondary education" refers to education which occurs after high school at a public or independent technical or community college, college, or university.


Pre-programs are course sequences for undergraduate students taken to prepare them for graduate work in the same area. Examples would include pre-law and pre-medicine.


A prerequisite is a beginning class (usually a required one) that prepares students for a more advanced class. Generally chemistry is a prerequisite for organic chemistry, for example.


Probation refers to the academic status of students whose GPA falls below a minimum level established by the institution.


A program (or program of study) is a set of required courses needed for a degree in a major area of study.

Program-to-Program Agreements:

A Program-to-Program Agreement (or Program-Specific Agreement) is one in which an entire curriculum or program of study is accepted from one institution for transfer into another institution. This type of agreement provides a graduate of a specific associate's degree program advanced standing in a specific bachelor’s degree program.

Proprietary College (or Proprietary Institution):

A proprietary institution or college is a private institution operated by its owners as a profit-making enterprise. Such institutions often provide students with training in specific career fields.

Provisional Student:

Provisional students are students a college has admitted who have not met all the admission requirements. These students must fulfill specified requirements before or during their enrollment.


A provost is a college or university's chief academic officer. The provost often reports directly to the president of a college or university and oversees all of the institution’s academic-related concerns and other business related to the institution’s academic units. Additionally, the provost is often responsible for issues related to faculty hiring, retention, tenure, promotion and development.

Public College:

A public college or university is one supported by the state. Normally, the state pays a significant portion of the institution’s operating costs.


The term "quarter" refers to a specific calendar system used by some schools in which classes and grade reports are divided into four periods, each lasting approximately eight weeks.


The term "registrar" can refer to a person or an office. The registrar manages class schedules and academic records.


Registration is the process of officially enrolling in classes for the upcoming grading period.

Remedial Course:

A remedial course is one that teaches basic skills needed to succeed in credit-bearing college courses. Such skills are often those that fall into the general curricular areas of mathematics, writing, or reading.


Requirements refer to a set of conditions that must be met in order to do something, such as to be accepted to a college, to complete a degree, etc.

Residence Hall (Dormitory):

A residence hall or dormitory is a campus building where students live. Food services as well as social and educational activities are usually provided. Some institutions require students to live in residence halls for a certain amount of time.

Residency Requirements:

Residency requirements are rules that demand that students spend a certain amount of time taking courses on campus or living on campus. This term can also refer to the minimum amount of time a student must live in the state in order to be eligible to pay in-state tuition, which is normally lower than the tuition paid by out-of-state students.

Rolling Admission:

Rolling admissions is a practice whereby institutions accept applications from students throughout the year and decide whether to admit students as soon as the required admissions materials are received.

Room and Board:

Room and board refers to the cost incurred for living in a residence hall or other campus housing (room) and for receiving meals from the institution’s food service (board).

Satisfactory Academic Progress:

Satisfactory academic progress refers to the completion of courses according to each institution’s academic standards. Satisfactory academic progress must be shown to receive financial aid and continue in school.

Schedule of Classes:

Colleges publish and distribute a Schedule of Classes each semester. Courses are designated in the Schedule of Classes by department, course number, time and days the course meets, the room number and building name, and the instructor’s name. A class schedule is also simply a list of classes a student is taking, which includes course name and number, time and location of the class, and the instructor’s name.

Selective Admissions Policy:

A selective admissions policy is one in which a college only admits students who meet certain requirements (sometimes referred to as "Competitive Admissions Policy").


The term "semester" refers to a specific calendar system used by some schools. Classes and grade reports are divided into two periods, each lasting approximately 15 weeks.

Student-Designed Major:

At some colleges, students can plan an individualized major. Such programs must be approved by the appropriate college administrators.

Study Abroad:

Study Abroad programs are academic programs administered in foreign countries that students can enroll in for college credit.


A student on probation may be placed on suspension if he/she fails to maintain or achieve the minimum cumulative GPA required. A student placed on suspension will be dismissed from the college for a specified time period, usually one semester, and the student may need to meet specific requirements for re-entry back into the college or university.

Support Services:

Support services refer to those services provided by most colleges or universities to help students in areas such as academics, veterans affairs, adult, and special needs.


A syllabus is an outline of the important information about a course written by the professor or instructor. A syllabus usually includes information about topics that will be covered, competencies to be acquired, important dates, assignments, expectations and policies specific to that course.

Technical and Community Colleges:

These are colleges that offer certificates, diplomas, or associate’s degrees which are usually two years or less in duration for full-time students and prepare them for immediate employment or transfer to a four-year college or university.

Three-Plus-Two (3+2) Program:

Three-Plus-Two (3+2) programs are a program of study where the first three years of undergraduate study are at one college or university and the last two years of study are at another institution in order to attain a bachelor's degree (e.g., engineering). Sometimes, the first year of study at the second institution may transfer back to the originating institution which may confer a baccalaureate degree in the initial discipline. For example, for a 3+2 program in engineering, the student would earn a bachelor’s degree in engineering from the second institution and they first year of study at that institution may transfer bask to the originating institution which may confer a bachelor’s degree in mathematics.

Three-Plus-One (3+1) Program:

Three-Plus-One (3+1) programs are a program of study where the first three years of undergraduate study are at one college or university and the last years of study is at another institution in order to attain a bachelor's degree.


A transcript is an official record of a student's educational progress. The transcript may include information such as a list of classes taken, grades earned, the student’s major area of study, grade point average, and degrees earned.

Transferable Degree:

A transferrable degree is one that can be counted as credit toward more education, usually as a bachelor's degree, at the same or different college. Transferrable degrees are usually associate’s degrees.

Transfer Program:

A transfer program is one that prepares students to complete a degree at another institution of higher education. Junior, community, and technical colleges often have transfer degree programs that prepare students to continue their educations at colleges and universities which offer bachelor's degrees.

Transfer Student:

A transfer student is one who changes from one college or university to another. Grades and credits from the first institution may or may not be counted at the second.


A tutor is a person who has demonstrated proficiency in a course or subject and is able to provide instruction to another student.

Two-Plus-Two (2 + 2) Program:

A two-plus-two program of study is one which consists of an associate's degree that will transfer directly as the first two years of a bachelor's degree in the same field of study. The second half of the program is often referred to as a "completion" program.

Unconditional Admission:

Unconditional Admission is an admissions status given to students who meet all of an institution’s admissions standards.


An undergraduate is a college student who is pursuing a bachelor's degree, an associate's degree, or a pre-baccalaureate certificate.


The term "university" refers to a postsecondary institution that has within it several different colleges or schools, that grants undergraduate and usually but not always graduate degrees, and that usually but not always has research facilities.


An upperclassman is a student who is a junior or senior but who has not yet received an undergraduate degree.


The term "upper-division" is used to refer to students who are at the junior and senior level. Correspondingly, courses offered for credit toward the third and fourth year of a four year undergraduate degree program, usually numbered 300 and 400, are often considered to be upper-division courses.

Visiting Students:

A visiting student, or guest student, is one who is currently enrolled and in good standing at one college but who wants to take courses at another college in order to fulfill the home institution's degree requirements.

Waiting List:

The term "waiting list" refers to a list of students who will be admitted to a college only if there is space available. Students who are placed on a waiting list are notified at a later date if they are admitted, typically in May or June.


A waiver is an exemption from normal procedures or requirements.

Weekend College:

A weekend college is a program that allows students to take a complete course of study and attend classes only on weekends.


Work-study is a form of financial aid in which students earn money by working part-time on campus. Students typically apply for work-study by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (see "Financial Aid" for more information about the FASFA).